Wednesday 25 March 2015

Quarter 2 Reflection - Action

(Photo credit: @gecko.athletics Instagram)

Action this quarter was all about basketball – I was picked for the SAISA Girls’ U19 Basketball team, primarily as a post guard (stays closer to the baskets to defend and attack – usually for tall players). Like volleyball, I was on the team last year and focused on getting back on track to my fitness and skill level from last year (since I had forgotten almost all the rules and plays).

Something that I needed to work on a lot was being quicker on my feet because I couldn’t rely solely on my height to defend against someone trying to take a shot. On the plus side, my shots had improved from last year, where last time I had trouble getting enough power into a shot from the free throw line to even reach the basket, but this year (with a TON of practice) I was able to make shots anywhere inside and around the outside of the key.

In terms of teamwork, I think we really bonded and worked well as a team, especially with such a strong captain (Soraya). We were able to come up and apply a lot of plays, most of which had the triangle at the core. A triangle just means three players positioned in a triangle, usually with maximum two of them connected to the key. As part of our traditional team bonding party before every SAISA, the team created a ton of posters which we hung up around the school and gym, and handed out to people so they could show they’re support.

(Photo credit: @gecko.athletics Instagram)

This year our school hosted the tournament and this put a lot of pressure on the team, especially the players from last year. Last year the tournament was hosted at AISD (American International School of Dhaka) and we were able to make it to the finals against the Dhaka team. It was a tough match but we won by one point in the overtime, which was incredibly stressful and nerve-wracking. Now this time Dhaka promised that they would be the ones to beat us on our home turf and we were a bit nervous.

The tournament was incredibly fun, especially since we practically cruised through all the matches, coming out undefeated by a large margin in all of them. We made our way to the finals and we were once again facing Dhaka for the trophy. We were all a bit nervous and jittery, what with the cheers from one side of the gym where a lot of the students, parents and teachers came to support us, and the death glares from the Dhaka tiers on the other side.

The beginning of the match was slow and we made a lot of stupid mistakes because of our nerves, but I think we picked up steam pretty quickly after I made a buzzer-beater basket that helped lift the nerves off of the team. The game progressed with Kalila and Soraya making some pretty amazing baskets, as well as Jaz with her unbelievable three-pointers, Nela’s hilarious steals, and Vanessa’s blasé attitude when she made an impressive steal or shot. I think the only reason I pulled through the match without throwing up from nerves was by revelling in the team’s achievements.

In the end, we also won the entire tournament undefeated like volleyball. Thankfully we ended the match with minimal injuries on either side (although all the injuries I caused were purely accidental), despite Dhaka’s obvious fake falls to get a free throw. It was incredible to win twice in a row, as well as volleyball, and I really hope we can keep this up for football and the year to come (even though I’m pretty sure that we’ve made Dhaka our permanent archenemies rivals now).



(Photo credit: Nela)

One of my teammates made an awesome video of the tournament as well:


(Photo credit: Nela)

No comments:

Post a Comment